Tuesday, November 10, 2009

There's no place like home...






The last post was in July, just a few weeks before our house burned down. Thanks to an outpouring of love and support from family, friends, and neighbors we were able to salvage a few things and get moved into an apartment, conveniently located across from Siegel. The apartment is nice, and living here has been as great as can be expected under the circumstances. We miss Punjab a lot, but Lilly has adjusted to life as an only dog despite her fear of being in confined spaces. She still coughs some, but the vet said her lungs will be easily irritated because of the damage, and colds and congestion are to be expected.

I have replaced a lot of furniture and clothing (and earned a free round trip from Southwest on my credit card!) in the process. Maybe I'll earn another one when it's all said and done, and I'll be able to take Gia to Cali to see Vanessa like I've been promising :) Of all the things we lost (Punjab excluded here), my pictures and memorabilia from when Gia was little and stuff I saved of Patrick's are the hardest to not have anymore. However, the fact that we weren't home and are safe are the best parts of it. If we'd been asleep the outcome could have been much worse, so for that I am thankful.

I will make a concerted effort to keep everyone updated on the new house as it progresses and be a better blogger. People have told me that building a new house (something I never thought I would do) would be exciting in spite of the circumstances, and at first I was skeptical and told them those statements only served to volunteer them to help me pick things out :D lol But it really is getting exciting now that the old house has been demolished and removed and the construction crew is getting ready to lay the foundation. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it doesn't appear to be an oncoming train ;p All we're waiting for is the approval of the building permit, which should come very soon! After that the building should go fairly quickly, and we should be in our new house around February. Did someone say housewarming party? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment